NATIONAL CEREALS RESEARCH INSTITUTE BADEGGI
“ADMIN AND SUPPLIES DEPARTMENT”
- Goals and objectives of Admin & Supplies Dept.
- Mandate of Admin & Supplies Department.
- Basic qualities of a good administrator.
- Basic principles of administrative management practice.
- Ethics of Administration.
- Staff strength of Admin & Supplies Department.
- Admin & Supplies sections and their functions.
- Who is a Good Public Servant?
- Ways to Improve and Sustain good performance of Public Servant.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF ADMIN & SUPPLIES DEPARTMENT:
Administration as an integral part of any organization, is often concerned with identifying, maintaining, motivating, controlling and unifying formally and informal of both human and material resources within an integrated system designed specifically to achieve pre-determined objectives. On this bases, the objectives of Admin and supplies department of NCRI, includes the followings:-
- The creation of an environment which would enable the management to recruit, train and motivate people needed for today’s and tomorrow’s jobs.
- To ensure continuous development of people’s potentials, creation of a climate in which all is motivated to meet the objectives of the institute.
- To help the institute secure a balance between the diverse interests of her stakeholder’s i.e. the employees, suppliers, at National and Local Government, NGO’s and the host Community.
- Fostering mutual interest and encouragement of Teamwork within and across the institute.
- To ensure effective management of change and its operation, promotion and stability of Public Policies and decisions of Federal Civil Service Commission.
- To provide direct and indirect range of services that would support operational processes within and across the institute.
- Sourcing, placement and development of staff to ensure adequate replacement.
- Adoption of due process principles to ensure equal opportunities for the employees of the institute.
- Objective disengagement of staff in line with the statutory principles of Federal Civil Service commission of Nigeria.
Indeed, Admin and supplies department of NCRI is essentially concerned about the management of people in way to boost the organizational effectiveness. Therefore, it is the responsibility of all management committee members, sectional Heads and departments in collaboration with personnel specialists to ensure adequate contribution to these processes using innovations and intervention approach as well as provision of advice, help and services where and when the need arises.
MANDATE OF ADMIN & SUPPLIES DEPT:
The department of Admin and Supply of NCRI operates and executes the institute’s management policies based on the following mandates:
- Recruitment of Staff
- Placement of staff
- Supervision of staff
- Development of staff
- Adoption of Public Policies and decisions in line with the directives from Federal ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
BASIC QUALITIES OF A GOOD ADMINISTRATOR:
An administrator in any organization occupies the most sensitive position. All eyes are always on him or her, hence the success or failure of the organization solidly relies in their hands. On these bases therefore, they are expected to possess the following basic qualities to enhance their performance and efficiency.
- Sense of judgment
- Ability to Delegate
- Sympathy and consideration
- Flexibility and catholicity
- Relaxation and fellowship
- School of experience
BASIC PRINCIPLES OF ADMINSITRATIVE MANAGEMENT PRACTICE:
There are some principles that are regarded as the totality of principles which serves as guide to administrators. Therefore, one can .easily be referred as a modern administrator if these principles are identified and adopted where and when necessary. They are basically classified into five sub-sections having direct bearing with Henry Faiyol’s 14 principles of Administration:
A. The fundamental Principles
* Delegation of Authority
B. The Humanitarian Principle
* Human Relation
C. Prudential Principle
* Responsibility and Authority
D. The Principle of Change
E. Bureaucratic Principles
* Division of Work
* Impersonality in Official Matter
ETHICS OF ADMINISTRATION:
As a rigid position in response to adoption of management policies and decisions but possible to change and relation, ethics of effective administration includes the following:-
- Continuity: As a servant of all despite change in government and public leaders.
- Political Neutrality: total submission to the will of the people as a mediator between the management and the stakeholders of the institute.
- Policy Executor: interprets and ensures adoption of management policies.
- Directive in writing and speech: displaying good sense of loyalty and commitment as a delegate.
- Spirit of comradeship: demonstrating a good sense of judgment between the demands of employees & the management and ensuring existence of cordial relationship between the two.
- Master and Servant relationship: such is the position and operation of a good administrator in any organization. High sense of commitment, with a focus on goal attainment using any available positive means.
STAFF STRENGHT OF NCRI ADMIN & SUPPLIES DEPARTMENT
The department of admin & supplies is currently piloted by a highly experienced Director, (Dr) Theophilus Yisa Gana whose directives and instructions are carefully discharged by the current One Hundred and four (104) members of staff spread all over the headquarters and outstations of the Institute.
ADMIN & SUPPLIES SECTIONS AND THEIR FUNCTIONS:
Admin and supplies department of NCRI under the institute’s organogram has the following sections under her control:-
- Personnel Section
- Establishment Section
- Pension and Record Section
- Welfare and Training Section
- Open Registry Section
- Confidential Registry Section
- Transport Section
- Staff Clinic Section
- Guest House Section
- Maintenance Section
- Supervision of Staff
- Transfer and posting of Staff
- In charge of legal matters
- Serves as secretary to IMC meetings
- Handle Disciplinary matters
- Serves as secretary to junior staff promotion exercise
- Assist in Preparing Board papers.