Article Index


          This unit is headed by a chief executive officer and assisted by an officer-in-charge while others serve as assisting clerks. The section performs dual functions i.e. Record and Pension.


        All records of staff: serving and retired, are kept in this unit. The content of records kept here are replica of staff records with the establishment and registry sections. Staff records in this unit are captured and documented into record of service’s sheet (Gen form 60) which are further fixed accordingly into the “Binder” with labels e.g. B9/300 etc bearing the staff personal index number e.g. P/2012/18 the binders are further kept in the cabinet and locks for security and save retrieval purpose. Hence, records here includes:-

-          Each staff promotion records

-          Upgrading records

-          Transfer of service records

-          Staff conversion records

-          Payment and emolument records

-          Record of service of each staff etc.

All these records of staff of the institute are kept to enhance objective disengagement of employees from the institute. Therefore, from this unit, retirement period and accrued benefits of each staff either based on service years or by age are determined. The retirement years as support service staff in Administrative department is currently 35 years or 60 years by Age while for scientist (Researchers) is 65 years by age. Hence, retirement can be by:

-          Statutory

-          Voluntary

-          Termination

-          Dismissal


          Pension and gratuity are worker’s entitlement after disengagement from service. There are the old and the new pension scheme systems. Based on the challenges experienced from the old pension scheme, the new pension scheme was given birth to in year 2004. Therefore, problems associated to the old pension scheme includes:
-   Inadequate financial support from Government.

-      Age limit for retirement was not specified

-      Haphazard approach to pension entitlement

-      Inadequate maintenance of staff record of service.

-      Large number of retirees.

Hence, the current new pension scheme tries to develop strategies to avoid the above stated problems by developing a standard table of reference for pension entitlements of staff either based on years of service or by age limit. Therefore, the appropriate age for pension benefits and withdrawal is 50 years of Age. 

The contribution of workers pension fund based on the July 2004 new pension scheme is 15%. As the employees contribute 7.5%, the employers contribute 7.5% which makes a total of 15% of the monthly salary.

On these bases, therefore, documents necessary for effective calculation of employee’s contributory pension are:

  1. Salary table as at June 2004.
  2. Accrued contribution as at retirement.
  3. Last promotion level and step
  4. Service years and % accrued
  5. Adoption of gratuity benefits.

This of course implies that each employee on retirement from service, his/her entitlement would depend on how much they contributed during their service years and as managed by the chosen PFA’s (Pension Fund Administrators).

The PFA’s execute their activities in line with the consent of PENCOM or (National pension Commission) as regulatory body. While the PFC’s (Pension Fund Custodians) saves the total contribution of both the employer and the employees. Therefore, the PFC’s includes financial institution e.g. First Bank, UBA, Zenith Bank and Diamond Banks.

There are also the closed PFC’s which refers to big organization like NNPC, PHCN, CBN, Shell etc that manages their own pension funds, because of their financial strength.

Pension Calculation

Ex. 1

Calculate the gratuity and monthly pension for Mr. XY whose 1st date of appointment with NCRI as a Researcher was 1/2/1972 and date of birth was 7/3/1950 if he retires in 1/2/2010 on grade level (conraiss) 12(9).


Years of Service with ref. to 2004 = 32Yrs

Total Annual Emolument=1,200,000.00{HATISS}

Gratuity Accrued = 276% T/E (3,312,00O.00)

Pension Accrued P.a = 74% T/E (888,000.00)

=>Accrued Right = 3,312,000.00

Contributory Pension b/w July 2004 to Jan.2010


AR + CP=4,312,000.00

Lump sum =50% of ARCP=2,156,000.00

Balance 50% of ARCP=Pension

Life expectancy=70yrs

Monthly Pension =N17, 966.66

Our Stations

Our Programmes

Our Researches

Our Projects

Follow us